Following Cabinet approval, the Minister, Ministry of Energy and Mineral Development launched the second licensing round for petroleum exploration at the 9th East African Petroleum Conference and Exhibition in Mombasa, Kenya during May 2019. This licensing round covers five blocks in the Albertine Graben, namely;
- LR2_2019_Block01 (Avivi); Area coverage of 1026km2
- LR2_2019_Block02 (Omuka); Area coverage of 750km2
- LR2_2019_Block03 (Kasuruban); Area coverage of 1285km2
- LR2_2019_Block04 (Turaco); Area coverage of 637km2
- LR2_2019_Block05 (Ngaji); Area coverage of 1230km2
The second licensing round will be undertaken in three stages namely; (i) the Request for Qualification (RfQ), (ii) Request for Proposal (RfP) and; (iii) the negotiation of Production Sharing Agreement. The Licensing round is expected to last twenty (20) months and will be concluded during 2020/2021.
Maps showing the blocks for Uganda’s second licensing round for petroleum exploration